Pathmakers

 

Board Member, Mr. Penn Woods created The Pathmaker Awards in 1990 as a way to recognize notable individuals who contribute to the development of Oklahoma County. In May of 1990, a luncheon commemorating the centennial of the Organic Act that created Oklahoma Territory and the first Pathmaker Award was presented.

By presenting this award, Mr. Wood's intent was to honor four living individuals and four people from the past, all of whom have helped develop and shape Oklahoma County and their respective communities within the county.

Within a few years the Distinguished Service Award was added to honor individuals, groups or organizations who contributed to the improvement of their community.

Since 1990, over 200 individuals or organizations have received The Pathmakers Award.

 

Honorees accepting their respective awards with Mr. Bill Welge, OCCHS Board President

 

Each year the Society presents a Distinguished Service Award to an organization or individual for an act or acts of public service, usually pertaining to historical preservation.

 

In 1905, the Capitol Hill Beacon was established. This newspaper has been the town’s greatest supporter by providing local news of interest, community history, as well as an outlet for civic organizations, and is the only newspaper in Oklahoma that still showcases in the comics section Alley Op.

 

David Sellers is the second generation to own and publish the newspaper. The Capitol Hill Beacon has been especially helpful to this organization over the years in promoting programs and events such the luncheon being held today.

 

In recognition of its many contributions toward the citizens of South Oklahoma City, the Oklahoma City/County Historical Society is proud to present to…

The Capitol Hill Beacon

 

 

 

Distinguished Service Award

 

This newspaper has and continues to serve an important role in the growth and development of this community that was established in 1900. The town of Capitol Hill located south of the North Canadian River was so named because the community has a slightly higher elevation than did Oklahoma City. The town boosters also had dreams of the town and its prime location becoming the future site of the capitol building upon achieving statehood. In fact in 1904, Mount St. Mary’s Catholic School was built and could be seen for miles around for many years.